Northwest Magic - Forums

Go Back   Northwest Magic - Forums > Tournament Center > Tournament Reports

Old 01-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Default Jays president and CEO i

A look at what’s happening around the majors today:IN THE FIRST PLACEThe Red Sox and Braves begin a three-game series between division leaders at SunTrust Park. Atlanta rookie Touki Toussaint pitches for the second time in the majors — the 22-year-old righty threw six sharp innings on Aug. 13 to beat Miami.Toussaint was picked over fellow prospects Bryse Wilson and Kyle Wright after winning his last three starts at Triple-A Gwinnett in impressive fashion. Boston leads the majors with 94 wins lex Reyes Jersey , is 50 games over .500 and ranks first in the majors in runs, batting average and slugging percentage.“You dream of this as a little kid,” Toussaint said. “You want to be in the World Series pitching against the best.”Nathan Eovaldi (5-7, 4.35) starts for the Red Sox.PLAYOFF PREVIEW?The New York Yankees and Oakland Athletics own the top two spots in the AL wild-card race by a comfortable margin going into their three-game set at the Coliseum. CC Sabathia (7-5, 3.36 ERA) starts for the Yanks, who are 4 1/2 games ahead of the A’s. Trevor Cahill (5-3, 3.60) pitches for the Athletics Evan Longoria Jersey , who are 5 1/2 games ahead of Seattle. Cahill is 4-0 with a 0.85 ERA in eight home starts.CY YOUMets ace Jacob deGrom aims to enhance his credentials for the NL Cy Young Award when he starts at Dodger Stadium. DeGrom leads the majors with a 1.68 ERA despite an 8-8 record. Los Angeles is coming off three straight wins over Arizona by identical 3-2 scores that put the Dodgers alone atop the NL West.NO TRIP FROM TRIPLE-AByron Buxton was once the shining star in the Twins’ farm system, and he was a Gold Glove outfielder for Minnesota last season. Now he’s been told that he won’t be recalled from Triple-A Rochester.“We’ve talked about all the frustration and difficulties he’s had to endure,” Twins manager Paul Molitor said, “and when we came down to making the final decision, there were some things around the idea of how he played, injuries that he dealt with, his future. All those things came into play.”The 24-year-old Buxton played only 28 games from Minnesota this season and hit just .156.TIGER TRYMichael Fulmer (3-10 http://www.raysfanproshop.com/authen...mcgowan-jersey , 4.71 ERA) will look to win for the first time in 2 1/2 months when the Tigers visit the Chicago White Sox. He is 0-5 with a 5.90 ERA in seven starts since his most recent win June 14. Despite reports of tension with his bosses at Rogers Communication and rumors that he was looking at taking a job with the New York Mets organization, Toronto Blue Jays president Mark Shapiro vowed that he's staying where he is.Talking to reporters on Friday, Shapiro denied the reports that there's heat between he and the higher ups at Rogers, and made it clear he wants to stick with the Blue Jays as he wraps up his third year as Toronto's president and CEO."I feel as, if not more, excited to be here than the day I chose to come here about three years ago..the city and the country and what that鈥檚 meant to me personally and my family being here," Shapiro said Carlos Gomez Jersey , via Sportsnet's Shi Davidi.advertising"It鈥檚 been an exceptional place to be. And then for the potential of the franchise...This is where I want to be, this is where I am, this is what I鈥檓 focused on, and really don鈥檛 need to think of anything else." Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY SportsJoel Sherman of the New York Post reported Tuesday that some executives mentioned Shapiro as a potential option to become the Mets' next GM. Sandy Alderson took a leave of absence as he deals with cancer, and isn't expected to resume his duties.Per Davidi, Shapiro said he doesn't "know where those reports come from," and emphasized that he's "received nothing but strong support http://www.raysfanproshop.com/authen...avarria-jersey ," suggesting there is no tension with Rogers ownership. Bob McCown of Sportsnet 650 was the first who reported possible heat between the two parties last month.advertisingShapiro took over as Blue Jays president and CEO in 2015, inheriting an ALCS team built by former GM, Alex Anthopolous. The Blue Jays are heading for a second consecutive losing season, and much of the blame has been directed towards Shapiro and GM Ross Atkins.However, the duo have built Toronto's farm system up significantly (ranked third by Baseball America). Top prospect Vladimir Guerrero Jr. will be playing in 2019, and Bo Bichette, Anthony Alford and Danny Jansen are among the prospects that could have full-time jobs next season.It'd be unorthodox for a team president to leave after just three years Sergio Romo Jersey , especially with a bright future ahead. Judging by his statements on Friday, Shapiro seems committed to overseeing Toronto's rebuild for the long-term.advertising