Northwest Magic - Forums

Go Back   Northwest Magic - Forums > Tournament Center > Events Info > Local Shops

Old 01-29-2009, 05:08 PM

Cascade Games' prize support for PTQ is pretty deep relative to everywhere else. Wasn't expecting two draft sets for sticking it out and going 4-4 in the 200 man Shards PTQ.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to G Pelly

Ok, I'll the two stores that I've played at that are still doing magic tournaments that Zaiem has not played at:

West Coast Sports Cards
Days they run events: Sunday tournaments. They start at 1:30PM and get out around 5-6.
Formats: Standard, unless it's release week. The last weekend of the month is always draft.
Space: Manageable
Players: Gets anywhere from 10-25 players. Most of them are not great players, although some play horrible decks and are good enough to beat you if you aren't prepared for them.
Prize support: Always store credit and the good singles are absurdly overpriced or sold out.
Tournament organizer: Michael the guy who runs the tourneys is ok. The store owner has some ridiculous policies though. All backpacks must be behind the counter at all times. I hate that rule with a passion, since it means any random can reach behind the counter and take my bag.
Also they have no bathroom. That sucks ass.
Finally the events are 16k and usually 5 rounds, so if I go 3-2, I lose 25-30 rating points, whereas I gain maybe 10-15 if I win the whole thing.
It's a nice atmosphere, but there are enough minuses that I rarely play there anymore.

------

Comic Book Ink
Days they run events: FNM and thursday night drafts.
Formats: Always standard.
Space: Too small given the recent influx of players. There are never enough tables.
Players: 25-35 players, huge FNMs basically. Mostly bad players. TONS of kithkin gets played and maybe a few fae decks.
Prize support: I got 6 packs and a foil for winning a 25 man FNM. Let's just say this is a very flat prize structure, since most 3-2s get at least a pack.
Tournament organizer: Pat runs the events and does a fine job. The only problem is the players are slobs and pee on the floor which means we are restricted on bathroom useage.

Overall CBI is my store of choice, since there are a lot of cool players there, despite the fact that many of them have no aim ~_~

Last edited by G Pelly; 01-30-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:52 AM

I think you were a little too nice about how berzerk runs their events. I used to be a regular there but they started having 40 minute rounds so that the TO could get out of there earlier and it took two weeks to convince him to move it back up to 45 which still makes playing a control deck hard when you can randomly lose a game and a lot of the players are slow because they are young and have to read some cards.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 AM

As someone who is about to start making the rounds, I really appreciate this writeup.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Terry Nowak

I miss table top games in Tacoma. That place was good
tons of space 15-20 players for FNM every week. 8 man halo on the big screens in the back. But now that I recall there was a bad aim problem at that store too. it's a shame they went out of business
Old 01-30-2009, 11:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to MattHague Send a message via AIM to MattHague Send a message via MSN to MattHague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Nowak View Post
I miss table top games in Tacoma. That place was good
tons of space 15-20 players for FNM every week. 8 man halo on the big screens in the back. But now that I recall there was a bad aim problem at that store too. it's a shame they went out of business
Yeah they were really good, what do you mean by aim problem though?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Terry Nowak

By aim problem I mean people don't know how to piss in the toilet, they have bad aim and piss all over the seat/floor/garbage can/sink the bathroom in that place was always destroyed
Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to IceBerg

If your located in the South Sound make it out to Olympic Cards & Comics. It's pretty much the biggest and best around. You really canít beat over 7,000 square feet of gaming paradise. And yeah, House of Flying Monkeys went out of business last week.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to IceBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHague View Post
Yeah they were really good, what do you mean by aim problem though?
Matt, donít you remember they had that piss aiming template above the john? I guess when your 14 or 15 you donít really remember that sort of stuff.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to G Pelly

Tabletop was teh sex. I used to draft there after work and I would get blitzed at the bar first and would always do the wednesday night drafts drunk.

My favorite story was a trip champions draft where pack 2 I opened Kokusho, windmill slammed that bitch and passed the pack. What I didn't realize, was I had windmilled it right back into the pack and passed it, so the guy to my right got it instead of me.

The store owner wound up redoing the whole draft because of that.

Also, the 'monopoly' games were fun too.