Northwest Magic - Forums

Go Back   Northwest Magic - Forums > Formats and Decks > Legacy

Old 02-28-2014, 10:12 PM

Default Ankh of Mishra, possible?

After many years out of magic, but a lot more in... I'm starting into look into it again (specifically Legacy). I've always had a soft spot for burn/RDW. Blood Moon is popping up and influencing right now, but before I stopped playing about 5-6 years ago I was doing quite well with a burn deck that had Ankh of Mishra.

The two times I tournied with it I placed 1st and 4th in the legacy tournament at 3rd Place Books in Kenmore, way back when. It was a relatively small sample size, but NOBODY was prepared to pay 5 life for a land. My question is to wonder and prognosticate at the future prospects of Ankh of Mishra. Fetch lands become a 5-life punch in the face. I'm not saying my burn deck was good; it had Shrapnel Blast, Cursed Scroll, and Mishra's Factories, but it was oddly consistent, and resolving Ankh of Mishra was important.

Burn my idea to the ground if you want. I just want to hear the reasoning. I've been out of the game for a few years and I'm trying to catch up. But Ankh has been in my mind every since fetch lands became a thing. =) Could we some day see a Magus of the Ankh?? 2 colorless for a 1/2 with the Ankh of Mishra effect. How is that for a card? Or just people using Ankh of Mishra? It did ok in my deck and people visibly grimaced when it resolved.

-James
Old 02-28-2014, 10:49 PM

It has a really powerful effect if your opponent isn't prepared for it (saves his fetchlands for a shuffle effect), and you're on the play and able to play it turn 2.

But it's a terrible topdeck, which is why I suspect few decks run it, along with turning on your opponents' otherwise dead removal.

Give it a try.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:16 PM

There's already a Magus of the Anhk. Sort of. Check out:
Zo-Zu the Punisher. Anhk on a goblin. I've got one hanging around in my Goblins binder just in case. But I've never found the time right to run it. Fetches are probably as prevalent as they're going to get though. Now or never.

Going deeper, just for fetchlands, there's Tunnel Ignus. 3 damage to your opponent if they have a second (or third...) land enter the battlefield in one turn. But that doesn't seem good enough.

Bonus, splash for Root Maze.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 PM

Ahh, I suppose you're right, but Zo-Zu doesn't fit the curve I envision, and he is colored 1RR. He is completely unusable because of that. He should be 1/1 or 1/2 and 2 colorless to cast, or 2 Phyrexian Red mana, or 1PP (1 colorless and 2 red Phyexian mana). Perhaps I'm completely off base with my idea. I think there should be a place for punishing cavalier land assessments and assumptions of perfect colored-mana curves. Un-punished 3-4 color legacy decks seem to be the norm.. Wasteland is punishing often, but obviously not punishing enough from what I've seen recently. I think forcing specialization should be interesting. Wasteland and R. Port is too generic and lethargic because of fetches and blue digging, there should be a more specific way (other than Blood Moon or Back To Basics, etc), to punish land choices. And land destruction is far too slow. Maybe I'm just wrong. I think there is no great answer. =o But I'm off on the tangent and I'm curious. Offer thoughts or just ignore the questions and content. =)

-James
Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 AM

I have tested this card. Ankh of Mishra is still playable, but the trick is that you have to drop it Turn 1 on the play in order to have it largely impact games. On the draw it's usually too slow, and it's definitely too slow if you aren't casting it on your first turn.

-HooN-, as far as what's changed since you left, the format has slightly sped up and blue decks have gotten markedly better. There's a creature called Delver of Secrets that is essentially a 3/2 flier for U, so one form of "Burn" is a U/R build utilizing Delver of Secrets. It's a balance of library manipulation, counterspells and burn. Some builds play Snapcaster Mage, which is a 2/1 Flash creature for 1U that allows you to flashback an instant or sorcery.

I recommend taking a look through the best-performing decks from the last few Legacy Opens run by Star City Games:

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=13345
http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=13226

Price of Progress is pretty punishing toward nonbasic lands. I assume that has been a staple of your Burn decks.